Schumann Wild Rose

Schumann Wild Rose
Dishes, dishes, dishes........

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Re-reading Harry Potter Tablescape

 Like many of you, I have spent lots of time reading this year - lots of time....in fact, I have read or reread over 150 books (Pat tells me she, too, has read at least that many.) Our entire family is composed of readers. We always had reading material growing up (not only books, but newspapers, periodicals, magazines, etc.) so it was natural to continue reading as an adult. And with so many more books available today to a reader (not only how many books, but how many different genres with affordable prices, with easy access to different ways to "read" - hardback, softback, paperback, kindle or other device, audiobooks, etc.) you can enjoy reading anytime and any place.

But this is a tablescaping blog, so on to that. One of my goals this year was to reread J.K. Rowling's monumental young people's series about the wizard-in-training, Harry Potter - the books that got millions of kids and adults. alike. to read. When Pat saw the stack of books on my coffee table, she immediately came up with the theme for this week's table: Reading Harry Potter. 
While the place setting is perfect for any Winter table, Pat used some Harry Potter themes to set the tone.


A simple napkin fold - but the addition of the glasses says more than words (fans will know what they mean)
Flatware is "Colonial Copper" from Horchow




This is a "Black" Fiesta(ware) luncheon plate by Homer Laughlin
The dinner plate is "Spice Route Sesame" from Pier 1. They carried this pattern in several colors that year
The charger is "Color Spectrum" by Mikasa
I love these very heavy, thick place mats - they work well for a Winter table

The iconic scar - this is actually a detachable washable tattoo. All the name tags list characters from the books
Glassware is from Pier 1 also - but at least fifteen years ago

The assorted owls are from our Mother's collection



One last look from the other end of the table

Where it came from:
Place Mats - from Pier 1 two years ago
Black Charger - "Color Spectrum" by Mikasa from Replacements.com
Dinner Plate - "Spice Route Sesame" from Pier 1 several years ago
Luncheon Plate and Bread/Butter Plate - "Black" Fiesta(ware) by Homer Laughlin from Macy's and Replacements.com
Flatware - "Colonial Copper" from Horchow several years ago
Black Glassware - from Pier 1 many years ago
Rustic Napkins - from Pier 1 three or four years ago
Porcelain Owls - from our Mother's collection
Wooden Candle Holders - from Michael's two years ago
"Harry Potter" glasses - from Amazon this year
Books - from my shelves

This week, we will be joining "Tablescape Thursday" at Between Naps on the Porch:  http://betweennapsontheporch.net/ 


3 comments:

  1. My granddaughter would enjoy this table! Happy New a Year to you and Pat and your families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for putting a smile on my face! We are avid readers, too. I was glad that we had a "stockpile" of unread material when all of this trouble began! I am 64 years old and when we were children my siblings and I actually looked forward to the arrival of the newspapers! Our little town had a morning and an evening paper. We didn't have as many books then as families are able to access now, but each book was well loved and re-read many times over! We also adored "My Weekly Reader" the newspaper for school children and the inexpensive (but tremendously treasured) Scholastic paperback books which we could order. Each time the order sheets were sent home from school, my mother and I poured over them excitedly. Those were wonderful days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what memories you just brought back! My Weekly Reader was so special to me - I am afraid that young people today don't have the thrills that we did growing up. You are right...those were wonderful days that I hold dear.

      Delete