Schumann Wild Rose

Schumann Wild Rose
Dishes, dishes, dishes........

Sunday, August 5, 2012

The "famous" blue glass - most people know it as a Portieux Blue glass from France. For my family, it is a highly coveted and much admired goblet. It has a beautiful color and shape that makes any table gorgeous. And it has a dandy price to match (if you are not as fortunate as I am. I have a very wonderful cousin who is as wacky about dishes as my sister, my niece, and I am. He gave me several glasses from his collection of blue Portieux so that I could enjoy them as much as he does.)

Thought it was about time to use one of my favorite sets of dishes (and the one that I have had the longest.) In the early1970's, Lenox made everyday dishes called Temperware. They were heavy and held up well. The pattern I chose was called "Softwind." To go with it, I purchased Noritake "Iron Brown" flatware and Lenox brown "Clarion" glassware. The dishes have blue flowers and a blue bird that is the same color as the Portieux blue glass. It makes an unforgetable place setting.

Overview of the table.



Close up of the place setting. The wicker placemat is painted Portiuex blue to match.

Blue Portieux goblet with brown Clarion wine glass and simple champagne flute.

Here's a closeup of the famous "Portieux" goblet.

Candle holders are the same color as the goblets.

The off-white napkin surrounds a Portieux blue and brown napkin.

You can see the lovely blue and brown pattern in all of the dinnerware. This is the salad plate.

The dinner plate is identical to the salad plate and the bread and butter plate.

The charger is from Pier 1. 

Flatware is by Noritake in my favorite pattern. (Pat and I have five other colors in this pattern.)

The flower arrangement is in a gravy/sauce pourer.

This stuff really does last and last and is so versatile.

The picture does not show it but the blue in the plate is the same as the blue of the goblet.


Close up of the Portieux blue napkin ring.

Sorry, Betty, your blue boa does not match, but you still look lovely.




Wicker placemats:  Pier 1
Wooden chargers:  Pier 1
Lenox Temperware Softwind dishware:  Walsh's (a fantastic local store long out of business)
Lenox Brown Clarion Wine glasses:  Walsh's and Replacements.com (after the 2009 earthquake)
Noritake Brown Iron flatware:  Walsh's
Napkins:  Handmade by Pat (fabric from JoAnn's)
Blue Portieux goblet:  Gift from our cousin Trev
Champagne flute:  "Selection" by Cris d'Arques from Ross
Napkin rings and candle holders:  Michael's
Bird cage:  Ross

FYI - the paint was matched from the glass to use on the wicker placemat, the napkin rings and the candle holders.



No comments:

Post a Comment