Schumann Wild Rose

Schumann Wild Rose
Dishes, dishes, dishes........

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Blue Danube 4th of July Tablescape

We have been doing a bit too much whimsy when it comes to tablescaping lately - so Pat decided to have a dressy 4th of July. She pulled out one of our more "serviceable" patterns to use as the inspiration and went from there.

Dish nerd stuff: I always think of Blue Danube as the knock off Japanese version of Blue Onion - the classic Meissen pattern that has been in production since 1739. At one time, Blue Danube was fairly inexpensive, but has increased in price over the last 10 years (still cheaper than Meissen - and many people can't tell the difference.) There is no manufacturer showing on the back of the plate - so it is impossible to say who makes it.
Over view of the table


The place setting

Pat tried silver flatware first but it didn't look quite right - she went back to one of her favorite stainless steel patterns: "Image" by Spode




These huge chargers are extremely heavy - "Fun Factory" by Waechtersbach


By now you probably know we have this placemat in several different colors.


OK - it's confession time: the blue trumpet glass has a history. I fell in love with them when I saw Interior Designer Joe Nye use them in his book, Flair. I had to have them. It took me about two years on eBay but I managed to locate ten of them. Never say never to the GLASS!!!!

Pat made a simple, solid white arrangement in the Soup Tureen to tone down the color a bit








One last look from the other end of the table

Where it came from:
Cobalt Blue Placemats - from Bed, Bath, and Beyond
Red Charger - "Fun Factory" by Waechtersbach from Replacements.com
Dishware - "Blue Danube" from Gottschalks (a local Department store long out of business) and Replacements. com after several earthquakes
Flatware - "Image" by Spode from Tuesday Morning
Crystal Salt and Pepper Shakers - "Alexandria" by Crystal Clear from Tuesday Morning
Red Napkin - Tuesday Morning
Red Glassware - Pier 1 several years ago
Blue Trumpet Glass - Probably World Market but purchased on eBay
Red and Blue Votive Holders - Bed, Bath, and Beyond
14" Tapers - from the Ferndale Emporium (a local boutique)
Tea Lights and Silk Flowers - Michael's

We will be joining Christine's "Table It" as Rustic & Refined this Monday:  http://www.rustic-refined.com/

We will also be joining Susan's "Tablescape Thursday"  at Between Naps on the Porch this Thursday:  http://betweennapsontheporch.net/

And a big "Thank You" to Joe Nye (wherever you are....) for the hours of inspiration and the fun that I get reading your book, Flair. My copy is now pretty tattered, marked up, and worn out but what a great time I have had reading it.

Definitely not tablescaping stuff:
The reason I even bought the book a few years ago wasn't because of the great entertaining and dish ideas but because of this picture:


It's the author on the floor at Crate and Barrel arranging a place setting. I can't tell you the number of times that my sister has embarrassed me by doing the same thing in any and every store we have gone to together. If not on the floor (because of too much foot traffic) she clears off a shelf to arrange dishes.....the folks at Pier 1 just lets us go in and start pulling out dishes and designing on the nearest table. (They are very patient and kind people.) So - every time I see this picture, I think of Pat.

5 comments:

  1. Such a pretty table! And those flowers...are they Jasmine? they look like Jasmine but personally I have never seen any that big! they're always small like carnation size...Wonderful table....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh...that very same picture is the reason I bought Joe Nye's book!!!!!!! It reminded me of myself out there in stores squatting down to try out combinations. As I'm getting older and less pliable, though, I've resorted to clearing spaces on shelves or counters to work my magic. SO FUNNY!!! Creative minds think alike!!! Don't be embarrassed when Pat does this!!!

    I remember the cobalt blue stems from Joe's book. Heck, I remember EVERYTHING from that book because I peruse it several times a year as a refresher. I just love his style. He and I both have an affinity for carnations, especially pink ones. It was because of him that I went on the hunt for black bamboo flatware. (Couldn't afford the real thing, but got a good enough knock-off to appease me for awhile.) I've been on the lookout for the fabulous purple swirl hurricanes he used in another tablescape. The ones he used are William Yeoward. Again...can't afford that, so I have to keep my eyes open for a good knock-off. I remember he also did a very non-traditional red, white & blue table that was very upscale. It has run through my mind a million times over.

    YOUR tablescape....beautiful! Just beautiful! Those chargers couldn't be any cooler if they were Fonzie. And I love the flatware choice. I don't know what the silverware looked like before, but the stainless used here is A-1 and really fits the overall look. The dishes you chose remind me of Joe's style. Very cool.

    Well done, ladies! I'm lovin' every minute of it! Have a great holiday weekend!!! (Visiting from Christine's "Table It!" blog party)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I love about this setting and think is so fresh and interesting is the mix of formal pattern with the solid more weighty red chargers and other pops of solid color. Love that you chose to do solid white for the centerpiece, as well, because it's unexpected. Of course the goblets and flutes are wonderful but I really love that you've taken something very traditional and used it in a refreshing, albeit tasteful, way. Just lovely!

    Lory at Designthusiasm

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful...I love everything about this table. It looks wonderful! The Blue Danube is perfect with all of the red elements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table is absolutely gorgeous! I love the out of the ordinary take on Red, White & Blue, a marvelous idea!! I wish I'd thought of it, even though I do have flag themed chargers in use right now.

    There used to be a wonderful store in Sacramento called William-Glen; with thousands of patterns & pieces. I always thought it would be so much fun to spend a few hours mixing & matching patterns on one of their display tables. Any store that doesn't encourage mixing patterns is really missing out of a great marketing opportunity, why sell one set when they could be selling two or three!
    Thanks for the pretty pictures!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete